Americans are sitting on a gold mine of unused digital devices, but time is sucking its value away daily.
A recent study by Decluttr, an online business that helps people unload their old digital devices, estimates the total value of phones, computers, tablets, and gaming consoles stashed away by Americans at $43 billion.
Other tidbits uncovered by Decluttr:
- That $43 billion stash will depreciate in value by $11 billion over the next 12 months.
- The value of a typical mobile device depreciates by 36% annually.
- The average American has $199 worth of digital devices collecting dust in his or her home.
- Four in five people in the U.S. have a mobile phone they’re not using.
- The average person holds onto a cell phone for more than a year after they’ve stopped using it.